Wednesday 30 September 2009

Jacko, Narcissist King of Tots

I shall try not to go off on a tangent and talk about the Michael Jackson conundrum. If my blog or blog’s are going to concentrate on popular culture then Jacko is THE pop cultural icon which says it all. Am I the only one, I’m sure I’m not, that thinks he was highly and outrageously overrated? I must admit the Thriller video kind of scared the shite out of me so yes it was good but is that because it was directed by John Landis? Probably. .

Recently I herd that there is to be some record release around Christmas time, almost spat my pint out with horror and dread. Just when I thought the hoo-ha of his death was over we will again be bombarded with the screechy, groin-grabbing, deluded monkey befriending King of pap- SHAM-MON! Thank the good Lord I will be in a fairly rural part of Ireland at Christmas, avoiding the onslaught, hopefully. Thing is though, shite pop music creeps and slips through every nook, cranny and crevice via every media outlet so it will be difficult to avoid. Why hasn’t someone shot Rupert Murdoch btw?

If only half the hype and attention had of been paid to the Godfather of Soul, the late, the great, James Brown when he sadly passed away I would have been a happy man (for once). I strongly argue that James Brown was and still is a greater influence in music than the bleachy-screechy one. Hip Hop/Rap, probably the most popular music genre at the moment would have never got up and running if it wasn’t for James and the feckin legendry JB’s. Must also mention that Mr Brown was one of Jacko’s greatest influences particularly with his dancing.

I think it all went ‘tits-up’ for the self proclaimed King of Pop after The Jackson Five split up, that was a shame because they made decent pop music. It seems to me that after the split and as he grew up he became entrapped in some kind of puberty loop or bubble, never making the transition to adult/manhood. Mind you, having a psycho farther wouldn’t have been a bundle of laughs. If lunacy can be genetically handed down then it’s been passed on from farther to son. Spacko never matured and that reflected in his style of music. It never ceases to amaze me that adults, grown men even, listen to his child like warbling. Now I’m not a big fan of Prince (another nutter) but he made music that had more bollocks to it and seems to be demographically aimed at mature audiences.

I saluted the weed in tweed aka Jarvis Cocker when he jumped on stage whilst MadMoneyMichael was performing with a bunch of kids….Think Jarvis was pissed off with the whole pomposity and utter narcissism of Jacko’s performance and I think ‘fair enough’. Jarvis went onto say ‘My actions were a form of protest at the way Michael Jackson sees himself as some kind of Christ-like figure with the power of healing'. That absolute fecking fruitcake, Uri Geller, keeps banging on about how Jacko was a humble man but how humble was he really? Jacko proclaimed himself as the King of pop, very humble. Jacko made an acceptance speech for an award he never received- someone should serve him with a slice of humble pie and as I’ve mentioned, the Jarvis Cocker incident. Problem with Mr Jacko was he started to believe the hype pumped out about him even though it was only just that- hype. .

I’ll leave the last words to Chris Rock 'Remeber when yous were young and ya had arguments about who was better, Michael Jackson or Prince. Prince won'.

No comments:

Post a Comment